Sunday, July 15, 2012

Week #2 cont.

The rest of the week days consisted of trying to fit as much as we could in before and after class, and trying to stay warm and dry!!! The temperatures have been only reaching 70 degrees, and the rain will not stop.
Wednesday I went on a run from out apartment to the Bastille and it was beautiful. I found that the Seine river is right next to the monument, so I ran along there for a little bit.
Run

That day in class we visited the Père Lachaise cemetery in culture class. I was shocked at how peaceful and beautiful the cemetery was. The tombstones were so elaborate, unlike the plain headstones most have in America. We saw Gertrude Stein, Oscar Wilde, and Jim Morrison's grave.

The next morning I had to prepare for a big presentation that I had to give for my wine class. However, doing home work is not so bad when you are sitting in a little cafe with a croissant and cafe creme...I signed up to be the first to give mine on the first day, so I was really nervous. My teacher had helped me the past couple of days so that really helped. I really like him!!! He is a French man born and raised in Paris and engaged to an American girl. He wrote a book, "Things French People Like," and I am going to read it soon. Anyways, my presentation was on "bold wine marketing." Basically, I had to find bold ways wineries had marketed their wine. It mostly consisted of controversial labeling (the French love to put political satire on their wine, considering recent wine laws) and making fun of the way California winerys promote their wine.. I showed a short "documentary" that I found that a Napa Valley vineyard created, which consisted of piano music, babies, mothers, puppies and grapes..While it was playing, My teacher asked if anyone was crying yet. I am glad I got my project over with and my teacher did a really good job.
That night we went to a really neat bar that had been strongly recommended to us by Leigh and her friends called the Andy Wahloo. It was very small and I think we were the only Americans there, which made it really interesting. The decoration was Moroccan and they had a woman DJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment